Session IPA People’s Choice Event

Our June 25 meeting will be a People’s Choice event focused on Session IPA.  Up to 12 people will brew a session IPA and bring it to the meeting where:

  1. We will do a blinded group tasting of each beer, and we will discuss characteristics observed by participants.
  2. The group will vote to identify the “people’s choice” favorite beer.
  3. All brewers will have an opportunity to talk about how they made their beer.

Instructions for Brewers:

  • Sign up using this link:
  • Use whatever recipe you want, but please do not exceed 4.6% ABV.
  • Bring six unlabeled 12 oz. bottles in commercial six pack carriers to the meeting.
  • Be prepared to talk about your recipe, brewing procedure and actual beer specs.

Currently the people’s choice award is the satisfaction of your beer being voted as the group favorite.  The board will also discuss a more formal way of recognizing the winner.

Preference for events like this is given to paid members.

Feb/Mar 2015 Update


At the Feb 26 meeting, the club elected the board. Mike McVey presented information on growing hops.  Michael Crane visited and shared samples.  Total signed-in attendance was 26 with 4 first time guests.

The elected board met on Mar 6 to elect the officers and adopt the bylaws.  Per the bylaws, the board and officers are the same people.

  • President: Tim Ryan
  • Vice President: Kevin Thuringer
  • Secretary: Steve Gish
  • Treasurer: Tim Squires
  • Activities Director:  Jenna Munoz

The board also accepted Ken Schmidt’s offer to serve unofficially as the assistant Activities Director.


At the March meeting:

  • Tim R provided an update on the membership process and dues.  Annual dues were set by the board at $32, but payment is not due until April.  Based on the quarterly dues structure, this means dues are $24 for the remainder of the year.  Check out the Membership page for more info.
  • Kevin gave an update on club participation in the Parkville Microbrew Fest and Hopfest.  We have reached the needed number of volunteers for both events.
  • Tim R gave an update on upcoming meetings.
    • The April meeting will feature a “DIY show-and-tell.”
    • The main feature at the May meeting is still being confirmed.
    • The June meeting will feature a session IPA tasting similar to the Irish Ale tasting at the March meeting, however brewers will devise their own recipes for June.
  • The main feature was the Irish Ale Exbeeriment tasting, which included nine Irish Red ales and five Dry Stouts brewed by members.  The samples were blinded for everyone but the brewer.  The group gave sensory feedback for each sample, and then voted on the favorite in each category.  The brewers then provided an overview of their brewing process and took questions from the group.  Kevin Thuringer won the best Irish Ale with 6 votes.  Ken Schmidt won best Dry Stout with 14 votes.  View pics on Facebook.
  • Total signed-in attendance was 28 people with four first time guests.

Jan 2015 Meeting Notes

We had a great turnout at the Jan 22 meeting.  A total of 29 people were in attendance with nine attending for the first time.

The meeting was rather unusual, because we focused on club strategy and upcoming events.  Here is an overview of the key items discussed:

  • The “planning team” has been working since September on defining an operational model for the club while also planning club activities.
  • With support from Mike McVey, we are in the process of incorporating in KS as a non-profit.  Mike provided an overview of the rationale and process for this.
  • We recognized the contributions of Jenna Munoz, Aaron Hill, Brian Hann, Howie Johnson, Steve Gish, Ken Schmidt and Tim Squires on the planning committee.  We recognized the professional contribution that Mike has provided in assisting with the legal aspects of the process.
  • We discussed the draft bylaws and symbolically adopted them by general consent.
  • We discussed the five board positions and the elections process as defined in the bylaws.  Election to be held in the February meeting.  The deadline for nominations is February 5.
  • We received three nominations that were accepted:
    • Secretary: Steve Gish
    • Treasurer:  Tim Squires
    • President: Tim Ryan
  • We received two nominations that have not been accepted:
    • VP:  Brian Hann (declined)
    • VP or Activities Director:  Ken Schmidt
  • Discussed upcoming special activities:
    • The Irish “Parallel Brew Exbeeriment” was discussed.
    • Mike issued an invitation to participate in the KCBM “Hot Summer Nights” competition and described the opportunities.
    • Tim Squires provided an overview of beerfests the club may consider participating in this year, including the Parkville Microbrew Fest on Apr 25.  We need volunteers to bring and serve beer at the club booth.

To volunteer for Parkville or to submit a nomination for the board, send an e-mail to

Parallel Brew Exbeeriment

You’re planning to brew an Irish Red and/or a Dry Stout for St. Patrick’s Day, right?  Have you ever wondered how your homebrewing prowess compares to other local homebrewers?  Are you curious about how process, equipment and other non-recipe related factors affect a finished beer?  We’d like to help you with these things.  Here’s the idea:

  1. Everyone brews the exact same recipe at home using his/her standard process (please resist the urge to tweak).
  2. Brewers bring a six pack of samples in unlabeled 12 oz bottles to the club meeting on Mar 26.
  3. At that meeting, everyone participates in a blind tasting to identify differences and vote for their favorite beers.
  4. After the votes are cast and the blind is broken, discuss the variables that contributed to differences in the beers.

We are using tried and true recipes from Brewing Classic Styles (sorry, can’t post them, because of copyright law).  Our friends at Brew Lab are providing a discount for the ingredients.  Ingredient prices (extract, grain, hops and yeast) are as follows, plus tax.

  • Irish Red (all-grain):  $31.86
  • Irish Red (extract):  $45.66
  • Dry Stout (all-grain):  $29.84
  • Dry Stout (extract):  $46.67

Use this link to sign up for the kit(s) you will brew for the experiment. 

The guys at Brew Lab have the recipes and can help you get everything you need.

Note: Brew Lab has all of the ingredients in stock, except Wyeast Irish Ale yeast, which is expected to be replenished during the week of Jan 26.

Send questions to

November Update

Since we are not meeting in Nov due to Thanksgiving, here is a club update.

  • On Oct 25, Tim S and Tim R manned a booth for the club at the Rot & Ruin festival in Liberty.  We took five kegs, including the club collaboration Hibiscus Grisette.  The pic above is from this event.
  • On Nov 8, Tim S hosted a brew session.  I did not count heads, but I believe there were eight people in attendance.  We need to do these a few times per year.  What a great opportunity for new brewers to see a brewing process in action and to ask detailed questions.  Also a great opportunity for experienced brewers to see the process and equipment used by others in the community.
  • Holiday party invitations have been sent to everyone who attended one of the club’s six 2014 meetings.  If you did not receive an invitation, please check your spam filter.  The invitation was sent via evite on Nov 12.
  • On Nov 14, the planning committee met to continue working on a plan to create an appropriate formal structure for the club.  The committee will meet again in December and January with the goal of producing draft bylaws that will be provided to the overall club for for review/discussion in our January meeting.

Oct 2014 Meeting Notes

We had 15 in attendance at the meeting and one guest.


  • Tim S and Tim R will be manning a booth for the club at the Rot & Run Festival on Saturday.  Asked for additional volunteers.
  • Rather than participating in Learn to Homebrew day on Nov 1, we’re going to do a “Learn to Homebrew Weekend.”  Tim S and Jenna are going to host brew sessions at their homes on Nov 8 and 9 respectively.  Details TBA by e-mail.
  • In lieu of Nov and Dec meetings, Ken will be hosting a holiday party on Dec 5 at 7:00 PM.  It will be a potluck.  Invitations will be distributed by e-mail for club participants and a guest.

Tim R provided a brief update on the club planning meetings:

  • Progress is being made on defining details that will be required for writing bylaws (membership, officers, various procedures, etc.)
  • Planning to continue meeting through the rest of the year
  • In advance of the January meeting, bylaws will be drafted and posted for overall club review/comment.  The plan is to put the bylaws to a vote in the January meeting.

The main event was a demonstration by Chris Stenger on jumping a beer between kegs and cleaning kegs.  We had a good discussion about cleaning practices and a bit of a debate about the StarSan versus Iodophor.

Sep 2014 Meeting Notes

It was great to be back after missing the August meeting due to work. As planned, it was a low key meeting with about 10 minutes taken for club business and the rest of the time dedicated to a facilitated tasting session.

Attendance:  25
First time: 7

The Business:

  • Discussed organizing a carpool to the Oct 18 AHA Rally at the Free State production brewery in Lawrence.  Send an e-mail to the club e-mail address if interested.  Designated drivers would be especially appreciated.
  • The Oct 23 meeting will feature a demo/discussion of keg cleaning.
  • Nov and Dec meetings will be cancelled due to the holidays.
  • On Fri, Dec 5 Ken Schmidt will host a holiday event (Kegger at Ken’s) at his home in Olathe.  It will be a potluck.  Spouses/significant others welcome.  Additional details are TBA.
  • The previously assembled “planning team” has been meeting and will continue to meet through end of the year with the primary focus on organizing club events and establishing an appropriate structure for the club (bylaws, membership policy, etc.).  The plan is to present the output of these meetings in the Jan 22, 2015 club meeting.

Mike McVey facilitated the tasting session, which I thought went really well.  The group evaluated the “Roundabout” BrewHoff beers that developed off-flavors.  As a reference, we used the BJCP Fault List that Mike brought to hand out.  Astringent, medicinal and band-aid (plastic) were a couple faults that stood out.  The working theory is:

  • Something went wrong in the water treatment, which affected both beers.  Possible pH and chlorine/chloramine issues.
  • An infection was established in the 1469 carboy, because of an insufficient pitch of healthy yeast the morning after brewing.  Yeast viability in the Wyeast pack was low and a starter was not prepared.

As usual, I invite participants to add comments.

July 2014 Meeting Notes

The July meeting was a special event. We started a little early and ended very late, because we brewed two 10 gallon batches that will be served at the inaugural High Plains BrewHoff.  Check out our Facebook group page for details, including photos.

Attendance details:

  • 33 total
  • 13 new

We added a couple new procedures in order to improve overall coordination of the meeting as we quickly grow.  Thanks to Brian Hann and Aaron Hill for helping with these tasks.

  • We added a sign-in sheet, name tags and a greeter.
  • We also tried a new tasting procedure that included coordinated pours and an enhanced opportunity for brewers to talk about their beer and seek feedback from the group.

We discussed some logistics in preparation for the BrewHoff.

  • The club will have a dedicated booth
  • Ken Schmidt and Jenna Munoz kindly volunteered to co-coordinate planning and execution of the event for the club.
  • In addition to Ken and Tim, we received five volunteers to help with set-up, serving, maintenance and tear down of our booth.
  • Jim and J.D. will look into options for a banner and club t-shirts that will bear the club logo

As usual, please add comments below or send an e-mail to the club address if I missed anything.


June 2014 Meeting Notes

At an unofficial count of 28 people we had quite a strong turnout last night.  By a show of hands, approximately 2/3 of those in attendance had never been to a homebrew club meeting before.

In addition to sharing homebrew and casual discussion, here is a summary of the meeting:

  • Tim gave an update on accomplishments since the first meeting (Facebook group, website, group e-mail address, AHA registration, logo)
  • Shared the logos that have been professionally designed for the club by Jim Dore
  • Gave everyone an opportunity introduce themselves
  • Kevin provided an update on the High Plains BrewHoff competition that will be hosted in downtown OP on Sep 20.  Brew Lab neighbors and the city of OP have approved the event.  More details are TBA.
  • Discussed ideas and decided on concepts for the club collaboration brew night (details below).
  • Open floor discussion about what participants want out of a club and ideas for  educational opportunities

Collaboration Brew:

  • To be brewed at our next meeting on Jul 24.  We will start the meeting at 6PM (an hour earlier than our normal start time).  If you can’t come until the normal start time, that’s cool too.
  • One brew will be a sessionable English bitter that includes oats, some form of simple sugar and Wyeast 1469.  Tim will propose a recipe.
  • Chris S will propose a recipe for a second brew that may involve Patagonia malt, hibiscus and lactobacillus.
  • The brews will be kegged for serving at the High Plains BrewHoff
  • Brew Lab will provide the ingredients to the club at a discount.  The cost of the brews will be covered by contributions from members

Please post comments if I missed any important points or if anyone wishes to share other thoughts from the meeting.